6 February 2013

Hiddleston, Beale, Irons, Whishaw and Many More in This Shakespeare Epic

If you have not yet seen BBC's The Hollow Crown mini-series I highly suggest you do so!

Anyone who likes the acting of either of the names mentioned in the title will not be disappointed. Also, anyone who like brilliant acting and directing that manages to - in my humble opinion, at least - make the Shakespearean dialogues and monologues believable on screen in a film (even though it is written as a play, which is a very different medium) as well as managing to make everything, reactions and actions, perfectly natural-seeming should really gives these films a try!

Those who might possibly find these not entirely satisfying are perhaps those very familiar and very fond of Shakespeare plays as plays to be seen on a theatre stage. I am personally not that well versed in Shakespeare's work. Not as well as I should like to, at least. So In my case I would say I knew just the right amount on his works to really love the films. To someone more knowledgeable I would then say - give them a chance! But do so without expecting the brilliance I speak of since it comes form someone that saw these without too many preconceived notions as to what they should be like and I am sure you will still be able to enjoy them.

To those who simply love Tom Hiddleston - as I know many do - it really is worth your while to see Richard II as well even though Hiddleston is not in that one because it is just as beautiful and well made. Though, if you really are going to watch them simply because of Hiddleston, by all means, do so. If you love his acting you will not be disappointed - he does an amazing job as prince Hal and Henry V and I can practically guarantee  you will not regret watching these films. Of course, and it should go without saying, that the same is true for Ben Whishaw who gives a most amazing performance as king Richard II. If you intend to see only Richard II for the sake of his wonderful acting alone I would still recommend the rest of the series.

I would also recommend these films to anyone who really loves well-made, historical pieces. Because they are beautifully shot and made with great attention to detail. The sets are fantastic and the atmosphere connects to each seen wonderfully.

All in all these absolutely fall under the category of my favourite films of all times and I do highly and warmly recommend these works of art!

No comments:

Post a Comment